I have a gut feeling (but someone has to confirm) that the numbers 10 and 60 
and alike which prefix the actual script names are like the prefix numbers of 
the rc.d script files: they only tell the order of the execution of the 
scripts, it's basically a priority.

Csaba

________________________________
From: [email protected] [[email protected]] on behalf of Jack 
Coats [[email protected]]
Sent: Friday, April 26, 2013 9:52 PM
To: NLUG
Subject: Re: [nlug] Linux network tuneup

Jim,
  You are the first response.

This tweak just helps your computer, it doesn't really do much/anything for the 
overall connection, but if it is the 'weakest link in the chain' it at least 
pushes the bottlenect to the next place :)

the 60- entries are 'user' files, and the 10- are the defaults that come with 
the system.

You can just put the 60- file in there (I find it easiest to just do it as 
root).

To make it take effect, either reboot or issue
   service procps start
if you are running Ubuntu.

(The last command I found in the /etc/syscntl.d/README file - it is a short but 
good read before doing this tweak)

><> ... Jack



On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 10:36 PM, Jim Peterson 
<[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
Hey Y'all,

Were there any responses to this that I may have missed?

While I have a very slow & crappy internet provider, I'd like to try this to 
see if I can get even 10Kbps (yes, 10 K!) more. I don't have any 60-* in my 
sysctl.d directory, only 10-*. Do I just add another 10-, or should I put a 60- 
in here or somewhere else?

Jim Peterson


On 04/25/2013 08:23 PM, Jack Coats wrote:
After trying to optimize my new higher-performance internet link, I have found
a few tips to tune up IP traffic.

It is more kernel tweaks, like:

/etc/syscntl.d/60--ipv4-tweak.conf
  contains
# http://blog.eukhost.com/webhosting/how-to-optimize-tcp-ip-stack-in-linux/
#
# Default settings are:
# root@nomad2:/etc/sysctl.d#<mailto:root@nomad2:/etc/sysctl.d#> sysctl 
net.core.rmem_max
# net.core.rmem_max = 131071
# root@nomad2:/etc/sysctl.d#<mailto:root@nomad2:/etc/sysctl.d#> sysctl 
net.core.wmem_max
# net.core.wmem_max = 131071
# root:/etc/sysctl.d# sysctl net.ipv4.tcp_rmem
# net.ipv4.tcp_rmem = 4096      87380   4046048
# root:/etc/sysctl.d# sysctl net.ipv4.tcp_wmem
# net.ipv4.tcp_wmem = 4096      16384   4046048
#
#
#
# Increase TCP max buffer size setable using setsockopt ()
net.core.rmem_max = 16777216
net.core.wmem_max = 16777216
# Increase Linux autotuning TCP buffer limits
# Min, default, and max number of bytes to use
# Set max to at least 4MB, or higher if you use very high BDP paths
net.ipv4.tcp_rmem = 4096 87380 16777216
net.ipv4.tcp_wmem = 4096 65536 16777216

Ok, I've done this, and it seems to be about 5% faster.
Anyone have some additional suggestions?

><> ... Jack


--
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"NLUG" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/nlug-talk?hl=en

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"NLUG" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.


-- 
-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"NLUG" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/nlug-talk?hl=en

--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"NLUG" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.


Reply via email to