Thanks Guys,

That is part of the problem.  Charter as best I can tell refuses to
block anything.  The fail2ban program looks like it might work.  It
looks like just a ping to verify the address is legitimate and drop the
packet if there is no response would be one way to do it.

I will stare at the fail2ban program docs a bit and see what that is
going to require.

Dave