You may want Unicode::Collate:Locale |||

|||http://search.cpan.org/~sadahiro/Unicode-Collate-1.07/Collate/Locale.pm

http://www.perl.com/pub/2012/06/perlunicook-unicode-locale-collation.html

On 08/22/2014 06:34 PM, Paul Boniol wrote:
I know there must be some Perl module out there I'm overlooking. I need to sort data by name. According to the Chicgo Manual of Style / US Phone book, you don't do just a normal sort.

E.g.  O'Reilly is treated as OReilly (case insensitive).

(Some variations say last names starting with Mc should be treated as Mac. And St. Andrew should be Saint Andrew. Etc. I'm not as worried about those.)

I've found all sorts of things for sorting in different languages, German phone book (umlats treated as letter and appending e). But there wasn't a US phone book module.

I know there must be some common method / module for sorting names. My Google foo just can't seem to find it.

I've usually just been doing a plain sort of uppercased name. This is okay, no one has complained. But I thought there must be a more proper way.

Paul

--
All the best,
Brian Pitts

--- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "NLUG" group.