`apt-get dist-upgrade` won't upgrade you to 14.04. That would require you to run `do-release-upgrade`. Except in special circumstances, you should always run 'dist-upgrade' instead of 'upgrade'.

For example, today linux-image-virtual depends on linux-image-3.11.0-12-generic. If tomorrow it's switched to depend on linux-image-3.11.0-13-generic

* 'dist-upgrade' would upgrade linux-image-virtual and install linux-image-3.11.0-13-generic * 'upgrade' would not do anything but print a warning that linux-image-virtual was held back.

More info from the manual:

       upgrade
upgrade is used to install the newest versions of all packages currently installed on the system from the sources enumerated in /etc/apt/sources.list. Packages currently installed with new versions available are retrieved and upgraded; under no circumstances are currently installed packages removed, or packages not already installed retrieved and installed. New versions of currently installed packages that cannot be upgraded without changing the install status of another package will be left at their current version. An update must be performed first so that apt-get knows that new versions of packages
           are available.

       dist-upgrade
dist-upgrade in addition to performing the function of upgrade, also intelligently handles changing dependencies with new versions of packages; apt-get has a "smart" conflict resolution system, and it will attempt to upgrade the most important packages at the expense of less important ones if necessary. The dist-upgrade command may therefore remove some packages. The /etc/apt/sources.list file contains a list of locations from which to retrieve desired package files. See also apt_preferences(5) for a mechanism for overriding the general settings for individual packages.