If I remember right, the keys work independently, but not when concatenated
together? That smells like a missing EOL (in the first one). I don't think
ssh needs an EOL on the last line, but it definitely needs it in between
the public keys.

On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 10:35 AM, Wesley Duffee-Braun <wduf...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> "We have another server that's identical except it's a physical machine,
> it's working perfectly."
>
> So what is working on that machine? is that the machine you can connect to
> without issue, or is that the machine where the authorized_keys live and
> you can ssh out of that box to others without a password?
>
> Have you tried (when you put keys back in the authorized_keys file)
> re-arranging their order?
>
> On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 9:28 AM, Curt Lundgren <verif...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> File and directory ownership and permissions are correct.
>>
>> Normally I create (and expand, if necessary) the authorized_keys file by
>> doing a cat on the existing file, if any, and the new key file.  This
>> doesn't add newlines, and none of these files have ever seen a Windows
>> system.  I did a hex dump of the current file; there's a single newline at
>> the end of each key.
>>
>> What has me confused is that I can copy any of the key files as
>> authorized_keys and login works perfectly.  Cat two or more of them
>> together, it refuses to work.
>>
>> A couple of GSSAPI options were on; I turned them off and restarted
>> sshd.  Still no joy.
>>
>> Thanks for the tips and hints!
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 9:04 AM, Tilghman Lesher <tilgh...@meg.abyt.es>
>> wrote:

>>> key to

>>> You're ssh'ing as root?  The files and directory should be owned by
>>> the same user as you're ssh'ing as.  Also, did you become root with
>>> 'sudo -s', 'sudo su -', or another command that institutes the
>>> environment?  'sudo su' doesn't, which may mess up things like that.

>>> it
>>> asks
>>>
>>> I would explicitly check for aberrant newlines in the file.  If you're
>>> looking at the file with xterm, most editors will naturally resize,
>>> when you vary the width of the terminal.  Look for lines that aren't
>>> wrapping continuously.  All individual keys should be on a single
>>> line.  I've had this problem where I manually copied a key with the
>>> mouse, and the editor inserted a newline in the middle of a key.
>>>
>>> Also check for a Windows newline (\r) in any of the files.  You can
>>> remove them with:  tr -d '\015' <oldfile >newfile

>>> going
>>> machine,
>>>
>>> My general inclination is that you've got a bad character in one of
>>> the files, and as soon as ssh sees that, it aborts parsing.
>>>
>>> One last thing to check is that you have Kerberos and GSSAPI
>>> authentication turned off in /etc/ssh/sshd_config.  This is a Red Hat
>>> derived platform, and they have a habit of turning alternate
>>> authentication systems on, which may mess with authorized_keys
>>> authentication.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Tilghman
>>>
>>> --
>>> --
>>>
>>> ---
>>> Groups "NLUG" group.
> [...]

and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed
to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by
abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed -- thomas jefferson