Don't back up directly to the mountpoint. Backup to a directory on the filesystem that you mount. That way, if the filesystem is not mounted the directory your backup software is looking for will not exist.

For example,

1) Have a 'backup' directory on the filesystem on the external disk
2) Mount the external disk on '/mnt/foo'
3) Backup to '/mnt/foo/backup'

This is a good approach to use for other software as well, like database servers.