On 03/05/2015 06:45 PM, JMJ wrote:

<snip>

I 'pulled the trigger' on the parts purchase this past weekend and have
been assembling things yesterday and today.  I forgot that the GFX card
needs power via PCI-e connectors, and the existing PSU doesn't have any,
so I'll be buying a PSU before installing the GFX card.  While I wait on
the PSU, I've been trying to get the drives moved over.

As I mentioned, I do have a 240GB SSD.  I want to copy my existing Linux
and Windows partitions to the SSD, and install the existing HDD for
extra storage and also to back-up the Linux/Win partitions to.  There
aren't any partition size issues, my root/home/boot/windows partitions
will all be close to the same size or bigger.  The rest of the 1TB drive
will stay as is.

I've tried a variety of things to get the data copied to the SSD, GRUB
installed correctly, and the HDD installed as a second drive.  Rather
than bore you with the mistakes I've made, can someone tell me what I
SHOULD do to make this happen?  LOL  Or is it a dumb idea to copy the
data to the SSD and then use the HDD for backups?

I'd prefer to copy as much to the SSD as possible, but if I have to, I
can just re-install the OS on the SSD.

Thanks for any advice!  :-)

JMJ

Clonezilla is my universal antidote for moving entire systems and MBRs (or their UEFI equivalents) across disks. The challenge is moving from a bigger disk to a smaller disk. If the HDD you already have is a 500GB or some such, you may be in for gymnastics getting everything happy to move to the SSD.

Howard

--- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "NLUG" group.