I have done this for several years now.  I run Ubuntu 12.04 on a
laptop.  I installed VirtualBox from the repositories. I bought a copy
of MS Win 7 :(, installed it as a "guest" OS.  Works beautifully.  I
just start VB in an empty workspace, start Win in the box and switch
back an forth by just changing workspaces.  No need to reboot. I also
have different distributions of Linux installed as guests so I can play
with them as time permits with no rebooting. VB is a fairly massive
system and I had to read the documentation very carefully. I love it.
YMMV, but it works great for me.

Bobby