My best luck has been, plug it into a wired connection to start with.  Then
go turn on the 'proprietary drivers', and update your repositories again
with

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

then you can probably either manually enable the right drivers or it will
be recognized automatically.

Now disconnect your wired connection, configure your wireless, and have fun!

On Fri, May 1, 2015 at 9:38 AM, Grant Devinney <grantdevin...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hey everyone, I installed Ubuntu on my old dell laptop and the proprietary
> drivers aren't supported by ubuntu. I was wondering if anyone had a work
> around? The wireless nic is "Broadcom Corporation: Wireless 1510 Wireless-N
> WLAN Mini-Card"

><> ... Jack

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart"... Colossians 3:23
"Anyone who has never made a mistake, has never tried anything new." -
Albert Einstein
"You don't manage people; you manage things. You lead people." - Admiral
Grace Hopper, USN
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -
Ben Franklin