I'm not an Android expert, by any means, but in my experience with Android,
there is a Gmail app that interacts with Gmail (and Google Apps) accounts
and a separate Email account that checks other kinds of email accounts
(POP, IMAP, etc.)

Are you using the right app to set up email on your phone?  You should be
using the Email app, not the Gmail app, unless you're actually connecting
to a Gmail or Google Apps email account.

Chris