It might not be the problem you are thinking it is.   I found this
weekend one of the network cards added to one of my boxes was not one
that the tulip driver supported (at least not yet).  It would not
surprise me if it was a bad implementation that happened to be
convenient to dump on ebay.

I would see what routines are handling the networking.  I have Centos
running on a box with multiple addresses with no problem.  From past
experience I would look around to see what is mucking things up and
disable that routine and write a shell script to set things up with
static addresses if that is necessary.

Sometimes the automatic screw up fairy works overtime.

One thing you could do after both cards are active is to do an ifconfig
and then look for errors in the list of cards.  That will at least point
you in the right direction.

Dave