Google Maps on iPhone has only gotten better and better over time. I'm with
Blake, I suspect you have a memory or other resource issue on your android.
Possibly even a throttled data connection.  I generally only use Waze on
long road trips when turn by turn directions aren't as frequent or
necessary. Even though it can do turn by turn, I feel Waze is more focused
on "crowdsourced"  real time information on the location of accidents, Law
Enforcement, etc.
-Brian