Hi guys,

I don't remember who it was at the last meeting that had an Odroid C2
that could not get it working.  I thought I would post some notes on
what I found that was not documented when I searched the web.

For anyone dealing with that bit of hardware, there is still several
things software related that are still broke.  Specifically of two
web browsers, neither one works reliably if at all yet.

The bits that I found necessary to put Ubuntu (16.04) on the Odroid C2:

Download the software:
http://odroid.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=en:c2_release_linux_ubuntu

Move it somewhere and then use xz to decompress the image into an iso
file.

xz -d ubuntu64-16.04lts-mate-odroid-c2-20160525.img.xz

Use the MicroSD card adapter to plug the MicroSD card into the card
reader / writer.  If you plug the MicroSD card into the reader / writer
directly it apparently will only allow you to write to the wrong
partition.

use lsmod to see if the usb-storage module is in the kernel.  If not:
modprobe usb-storage

In my case I found the memory card was seen as /dev/sdb.  That may not
be the case on another system.
You may be able to use:
sudo fdisk -l

to find out if the memory card is available.

If so then use fdisk /dev/(whatever) to delete whatever partitions you
find on the card.

Be sure to write changes before exiting fdisk.

The last step:

dd if=./ubuntu64-16.04lts-mate-odroid-c2-20160525.img of=/dev/sd? bs=512

That will take some time for the write to finish.  Might as well go for
supper.

Just to be sure the card was not mounted I did a mount command to make
sure and pulled the card out.

Then your ready to put the MicroSD card in the Odroid and power it up.
Be sure not to drop power to the Odroid while it is booting up for the
first time.  It is moving stuff around and repartitioning the MicroSD
card on the first boot up.

That is the short version that worked, and not exactly according to the
instructions I found on the web.

Hope this was useful.

Dave