... I just want to consult with the experts because I've had a difficult
week and don't trust my brain right now.

"Upgrade to Windows 10 for free" they said.

Uh huh... except that about 26% into the upgrade, my system locked up.
When I was able to get it restarted, the main drive (SSD) was no longer
detected. As long as that drive was connected, I couldn't even get to the
BIOS, much less boot from another drive or CD/USB. I eventually decided
that it was probably something to do with Secure Boot because if I
disconnected that drive, I could get to the BIOS, boot from other media,
etc.

I took that drive out, put it into a USB enclosure and tried to access it
via another system or two without luck. I assume the drive is dead at this
point.

So... now, I'm faced with having to reinstall everything (plus the loss of
data on the SSD, and the purchase of another SSD), which *finally* brings
me to my actual questions.  yay!

I assume that I'll need to install Windows 7 first, then upgrade it to
Win10, so that Win10 sees the activation key.  Is that correct?

Back in the old days, it was important to install Windows before Linux
because Windows would overwrite the MBR, etc.  Do I still need to install
Windows first?

I'll be googling for this, but wanted to ask here too.  What's your
favorite partition scheme for a dual-boot system that uses UEFI?

It seems like my plan of attack will be...
1) acquire new SSD
2) partition new SSD
3) install Win7
   3A) Curse
4) upgrade Win7 to Win10
    4A) Curse a lot more
5) install Fedora 23
6) set up an automatic backup of some sort.
7) spend weeks tweaking all the settings

Thanks for reading!! :-D

JMJ