May I ask, those of you who do this at home, are you mostly IT staff /
pros?  Do you do this at home for fun / convenience / cost savings / testing
                           or                 "all of the above"?

Being able to conveniently / easily create VM's is something I'd like to
know how to do for home and small business office use (and this is the part
of the reason I started attending NLUG).  So this is achievable for just  a
few hundred bucks?