On Thursday, March 23, 2017 11:53:07 AM CDT Kent Perrier wrote:
> https://stopdisablingselinux.com/  :D
>
> I can only speak to RHEL, but selinux had gotten a lot easier to set up
> with RHEL/CentOS 7. Something gets stepped on by SELinux? Look at
> /var/log/messages. It pretty much gives you the command to run to allow it
> to work.
>
> On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 11:39 AM, andrew mcelroy <sophri...@gmail.com>
>
> wrote:
> > So to further expand this conversation:
> > https://www.cnet.com/news/novell-lays-off-apparmor-programmers/
> > http://wiki.apparmor.net/index.php/Gittutorial
> >
> > https://security.stackexchange.com/questions/29378/comparison-between-> >
> > apparmor-and-selinux
> >
> > grsecurity seems to have fallen out of visibility.
> >
> > On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 9:23 AM, Howard White <hwh...@vcch.com> wrote:
> >> A worthy discussion, indeed.
> >>
> >> I get [ bemused | frustrated ] by the "happy talk how-tos in which the
> >> first instruction is kill off SELinux.  Is SELinux a pain?  Yes.  Can it
> >> be
> >> made to work?  Yes.  Is it effective?  I have NO idea...
> >>
> >> Howard

May be late in the game, but if you run RHV (RedHat Virtualization, or RHEV 3)
SELinux is needed to protect one Guest from the other apparently.  We're
running in on Power8 boxes, and Intel.
Also, on boxes that sit in a DMZ, or are internet facing, we enable SELinux.
It appears to work, and its not THAT hard, you just have to be aware of it.

AppArmor is what appears to be running on Linux Mint, what few of those I have
running, but that's about it.

anyone with a default install of Fedora will have SELinux running, I believe.
I usually disable it out of the gate, so I'm hoping that's right.

--
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.