I finally won.  I had to remove both packages in the same command,
otherwise the package manager would add in dependencies from other
packages.  It was a bit of a mess to resolve.

I will certainly be glad when the Oracle / MariaDB mess is resolved.
The thought of restoring about 800gb worth of stuff on one system was
not one I wanted to fight.

Dave