On Fri, Mar 01, 2019 at 09:43:41PM -0600, Chris McQuistion wrote:

> "Warning: RPMDB altered outside of yum."

This is merely an indication that someone or something ran a manual
rpm operation that updated the databases outside of yum's tracking.
This will resolve the next time yum updates its databases or you
reconcile history manually with "yum history sync"

> I've tried a few operations like "yum check" and "rpm --rebuilddb" and a
> handful of other things, but nothing seems to get these two systems happy
> again.

The sitting and waiting sounds like bdb spinning on a journal lock on
/var/lib/rpm/__db.00?; make sure there are no rpm or yum processes
running and then move those files out of the way or just nuke 'em.  In
some cases you will need to rebuild rpm's databases but on 7 that should
be pretty rare.

If the above doesn't resolve it please pop into ircs://freenode.net/#centos
and we'll be happy to assist you with a bit less latency.

                                                        John

--
This is all happening because my father didn't buy me a train set as a kid.

-- Warren Buffett, joking about his decision to buy a railroad, the Burlington
   Northern Santa Fe Corporation, New York Times, 4 November 2009