Specialty languages used for non-designed purpose is pretty bad.
I too hate having to 'mix languages', but until we get to the nirvana of
the 'you know what I mean' compiler that runs JIT we are out of luck.
I remember being forced to learn various assemblers, then rejoicing in
FORTRAN, COBOL was never my thing, but it was somewhat
better than RPG or RPGII - a column oriented language made for the coding
form and punch card days.

I understand the various languages trying to get us more into programming
ideas rather than hardware, but raw speed comes from
programming understanding the hardware and using it, not having the
compilers/interpreters getting around our lack of understanding
to make it seem easy rather than having faster programs. ... Businesses
crossed over the point where hardware was cheaper than
programmer time back in the mid '70s, so our focus now is on making our
programmers productive rather than the hardware.
My idea has been making the USERS more productive even if it means
programmers working harder, but given the tendency to
ship beta software to paying customers and making them pay for it, that
doesn't seem to be the case with many software authors.

Even in the days of assembler programming, macros made programmers sloppy,
so unless speed or storage was mission
critical, even then truly optimized coding started to slip back then.  Code
libraries had their own overhead but at least most
tight library coders took pride in optimizing for speed and/or size
depending on the target audience.

This is why the on 'next to the metal' programming some ever see is on the
cheapest and smallest of microprocessors typically put
in embedded systems (that many never see as users).

Such is a good reason I am retired, instead of being that grumpy ol grey
hair in the backroom...

Oh the video, ... Thanks Howard, I had a great laugh and lots of memories
going to 'standards committees' at SHARE or such places.
SHARE... to they still have those?  Showing my age.  That was back in the
days when I could have coffee with Dennis RIchie and
lunch with Linus (I had to promise to NOT talk about Linux ... We talked
about his new son instead!)

--

If you are not paying for something, you are not a consumer, you are the
product. - Chamath Palihapitiya
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -
Ben Franklin
Win more eBay bids .. "http://www.ezsniper.com/refimg.php3?user=servant74";
Get morning news free "https://www.morningbrew.com/daily/r?kid=54c19317";