Hello NLUG,
If this happens to be too much to communicate via email, we're willing to
pay to fix this.

Our Joomla CMS website is running on a CentOS 7 LAMP stack on Digital
Ocean.  We're trying to recreate the site on a different platform and the
web dev needs access to the MariaDB (I know our root PW, but not the
MariaDB PW).

As root, I ran the following commands:
 mysql -u root -p

GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO 'username'@'%' WITH GRANT OPTION;

FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

It seemed like progress at first, but according to the dev:

"Seems the permissions didn't stick. Not sure what's going on but I don't
have access to the sql shell on either account.

And I have some sort of read permission but it's a weird issue. Can't quite
put my finger on it ."

This is holding up our progress.  I'm guessing for some of you that are
more knowledgeable in Linux / MariaDB, you know the fix.