On 18 Feb, you wrote:
> I have a folder with more than 10k messages in it.
>
> Scan now displays these messages as ?nnn, where nnn is really digits.
>
> What do I need to hack to allow for a wider field?

In /usr/local/etc/nmh/scan.default or wherever your nmh installation has
put scan.default, change where it says '%4(msg)' and change the 4 to a
5.

Oliver

This e-mail and any attachment is for authorised use by the intended recipient(s)
only.  It may contain proprietary material, confidential information and/or be subject
to legal privilege.  It should not be copied, disclosed to, retained or used by, any
other party.  If you are not an intended recipient then please promptly delete this
e-mail and any attachment and all copies and inform the sender.  Thank you.