Hi Conrad,

Wow, thanks!  I'll look at your patch in more detail later.  For now,

  - I am confused about the tests though: when I run the relevant
>     commands by hand, I get a +0100 timezone for the first one, which I
>     kindof think I should expect (the event starts during summer time,
>     GMT+1); when run as part of the build, I get +0000.  Perhaps someone
>     who better understands the test framework could review?

mhical obeys TZ.  If not set, behavior is implementation defined.  Some of
the tests set TZ, that's the best way to get consistent results.

  - I had a brief look at "properly" extending
>     icalparse.y, but I kindof think any serious extension of mhical
>     should really instead adopt libical?

Definitely worth considering.  I see that it's subject to two alternative
licenses, we'd have to sort through that first.

David