Ralph,

I've noticed recently that you've been putting UTF-8 characters in commit
messages.  E.g:

            man/burst.man: re-word to avoid ‘digestifying’, etc.

I'm personally fine with that, but when the email is sent out about the
change I get them a little mangled because the script that notifies
about changes doesn't mark that email as UTF-8.

It looks like you CAN mark the encoding of commits using the config variable
i18n.commitEncoding, although this suggests the default is UTF-8 and
when I look at all the commit encodings they are blank, so maybe I don't
quite understand it?  I used this as a reference:

https://www.git-tower.com/help/guides/faq-and-tips/faq/encoding/windows

I don't know if that would change the encoding marked in the
notification email.  I don't have any strong feelings about this; if we
were picking one character set for commit messages it would obviously be
UTF-8, but I don't know if we ever discussed that.

--Ken