>What's the intent of an empty HOME?
>Is it set by accident when it's meant to be unset?
>Is it empty by accident when it's meant to be non-empty?
>Do they want HOME=/, HOME=$PWD, or are they expecting it to error.
>Any choice could be not what the user intended so exit.

I mean ... you could say the exact same things of an unset HOME!  My
point is that I cannot see a reason to treat unset HOME and empty HOME
differently in nmh; if unset HOME uses pw_dir, then I would argue that
an empty HOME should do the same thing.

Bakul says:

>FWIW, this is how /bin/sh behaves on FreeBSD:
>[...]

Fair enough; I was curious and some system call traces suggest that
what happens under the hood is that when 'cd' is called with an empty HOME
sh explicitly calls chdir(getcwd()).  But to me that still doesn't make a
case that empty HOME and unset HOME should be treated differently in nmh.
I recognize that this is a case where reasonable people can disagree.

--Ken