There are a number of examples on combining Steady State with
transient doses in NONMEM Users Guide V "Introductory", Chapter 6
Section 8.2.8. Combining Non-Steady-State Doses with Steady-State
Doses. In general, you can use SS dose event if there is a regular,
repeated pattern of dosing.  But if patients who were at Steady state
then have irregular patterns of doses, then you will need "hard coded"
doses to describe the actual doses.  Once a patient is assumed to be
at SS again, then a record with SS=1 could be used to reset the drug
level back to steady state.

--
  Alison Boeckmann
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]