Andreas,

Your simulations highlight a limitation with the combined (additive +
proportional or slope-intercept) residual error model.  The combined
residual error model cannot be the correct model at very low concentrations
since the normal distribution will put non-zero probability mass at
concentrations less than zero if the mean is low relative to its SD.   The
purist in me says don't truncate as that will lead to bias in your
simulations although it may be minimal if few observations are simulated
with negative concentrations.  A better approach would be to consider an
alternative residual error model that bounds the concentrations to be
positive such as the log-normal residual error model (log-transform both
sides approach) or fit a model that takes into account the censored BQL data
( see Beal, Ways to Fit a PK Model with Some Data Below the Quantification
Limit.  JPP 2001;28:481-504).

Ken

Kenneth G. Kowalski

President & CEO