Ethan,

Do not pay any attention to whether or not the $COV step runs or even if the run is 'SUCCESSFUL' to conclude anything about your model. Your opinion is not supported experimentally e.g. see http://www.mail-archive.com/nmusers@globomaxnm.com/msg00454.html for discussion and references.

NONMEM has no idea if the parameters make sense or not and will happily converge with models that are overparameterised. You cannot rely on a failed $COV step or a MINIMIZATION TERMINATED message to conclude the model is not a good one. You need to use your brains (NONMEM does not have a brain) and your common sense to decide if your model makes sense or is perhaps overparameterised.

Nick

Ethan Wu wrote:

Dear all,

  I am fitting a PD response, and the equation goes like this:

total response = baseline+f(placebo response) +f(drug response)

first, I tried full omega block, and model was able to converge, but $COV stop failed.

To me, this indicates that too many parameters in the model. The structure model is rather simple one, so I think probably too many Etas.

I wonder is there a good principle of Eta reduction that I could implement here. Any good reference?

--
Nick Holford, Dept Pharmacology & Clinical Pharmacology
University of Auckland, 85 Park Rd, Private Bag 92019, Auckland, New Zealand