From: Leonid Gibiansky [mailto:lgibian...@quantpharm.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 16, 2009 2:22 PM
To: Mats Karlsson
Cc: nmusers@globomaxnm.com
Subject: Re: [NMusers] OMEGA BLOCK with mixture model?

Mats,
Another difference between BLOCK(2) and DIAG(3) is that they provide
different number of ETAs for the individual fit. I am a bit surprised
that one-compartment model with random effects on CL, V, and F is
identifiable (even with diagonal OMEGA). Indeed, for each subject, this
model has 3 free parameters. The only thing that allows to identify them
separately is the distributional assumption. It could be rather week so
I would expect higher variance values with DIAG(3) versus BLOCK(2).

>>Actually parameter estimates are the same for the two runs DIAG3 and
BLOCK2.

How often have you used ETAs on CL, V, and F in the same one-compartment
model (without IV arm)? Is it always stable (or at least as stable as
BLOCK(2))?

>>I've probably used it 5-15 times. I have noted no difference in stability
compared to BLOCK.
I ran a small simulation study (3 conditions X 100 dataset) comparing DIAG3
and BLOCK2. I found no important difference between the two in OFV,
stability or parameter estimates.

Thanks
Leonid

--------------------------------------
Leonid Gibiansky, Ph.D.
President, QuantPharm LLC
web:    www.quantpharm.com
e-mail: LGibiansky at quantpharm.com
tel:    (301) 767 5566

Mats Karlsson wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> For a one-compartment model I think these are differences:
>
> 1) DIAG(3) is more restrictive than BLOCK(2) in the sense that only
positive
> correlation between CL/F and V/F can be estimated
> 2) DIAG(3) is less restrictive than BLOCK(2) in the sense that different
> transformations can be used for F
> 3) DIAG(3) provides an EBE that can be used for diagnostic purposes
(DIAG(3)
> and BLOCK(2) would give the same estimates for the same model so I don't
> understand your comment of var(F) being higher than cov(CL/F,V/F))
> 4) DIAG(3) may facilitate covariate model building (although this is minor
> as you with BLOCK(2) can put the same relationship in in two places)
> 5) If there truly is a mixture in F1, then I think DIAG(3) has a
advantages
> over BLOCK(2) in number of parameters (two fewer) needed to describe the
> variability model
> 6) If some additional assumptions can be reliably made, such as all
> variability in F1 is truly in bioavailability and bioavailability is
> restricted to be between 0 and 1, some additional info may be extracted
from
> the data for example by .
>
> I would not rank any of these as major differences (expect possibly the
> mixture aspect which I've never tried).
>
> For two- or three-compartment models the advantages are that if indeed the
> main covariance structure between CL/F, V1/F, Q/F, V2/F is a joint
positive
> correlation due to variability in bioavailability, fu etc, then a DIAG(5)
is