From: Jurgen Bulitta <jbuli...@ordwayresearch.org>
To: Ethan Wu <ethan.w...@yahoo.com>
Cc: "nmusers@globomaxnm.com" <nmusers@globomaxnm.com>; Roger Jelliffe
<jelli...@usc.edu>; "Neely, Michael" <mne...@usc.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 2:42:31 PM
Subject: RE: [NMusers] estimating Ka from dataset combining rich sample study
and sparse sampling study

Dear Ethan,

Your first suggestion would be a pragmatic way of moving forward.
I have no personal experience with the hybrid method.
Your third suggestion, using a full non-parametric approach
should work better and is mathematically more consistent.
This approach should not suffer from shrinkage.

I would expect this algorithm to behave as follows:
1) The subjects with rich data should be essentially completely
unaffected by the subjects with sparse data.
2) The subjects with sparse data should have posterior (i.e. intra-individual)
probability distributions of Ka which are similar to the inter-individual
distribution of Ka for the population of subjects with rich data.

Depending on how the distribution of individual Ka values of
the subjects with rich data look, you may or may not get a
multimodal intra-individual distribution of Ka for the patients
with sparse data. This may become important for the covariate
relationships which you are trying to develop subsequently..

Please let me know, if Roger’s group or I can be of help to set
you up, if you want to use NPAG for solving this task.

Best wishes
Juergen