Nick,

I agree that small changes (5-10) in OFV often are not practically important
and and big changes more often are. However, my point is that OFV is not the
right scale to judge importance. You should judge it on the consequence of
you additional complexity to the model (the magnitude of the found drug
effect/covariate/etc). Just the other day did I analyze survival data where
a small (5) change in OFV is of practical consequence.

A true treatment effect of a certain size will improve the OFV in relation
to the size of the dataset. The larger the data set, the larger the change
in OFV. However, the estimate of the treatment effect does not change
systematically with the size of the data set. The size of the treatment
effect is what is more appropriate diagnostic for practical consequences.
OFV we would use only to make sure that we have found the effect by chance.

Best regards,
 Mats

Mats Karlsson, PhD
Professor of Pharmacometrics