Von: Leonid Gibiansky [mailto:lgibian...@quantpharm.com]
Gesendet: Dienstag, 7. September 2010 17:08
An: Steingötter Andreas
Cc: nmusers; Rickmer Braren
Betreff: Re: [NMusers] Negative eigenvalues, over-paramterization, finding most
sensitive parameter

Andreas,
I doubt that one can give a general answer (without looking on the specific
model) but here is my understanding of the situation:
In over-parametrized models, there is one or more degenerate directions (in the
parameter space) where changes of the parameters do not change the fit (i.e.,
where there is no data to estimate each parameter, only some combination). The
model can be well-defined in the orthogonal directions. The simplest example is
oral absorption: without IV data, F( bioavaialbility), CL and V are not
definable. However, CL/F and V/F can be estimated. This leads to two different
situations: if your critical parameter is in the "well-defined" space, then you
may use it as a biomarker. If, on the other hand, this parameter is in the
degenerate space, it cannot be used since its value is not stable. The burden
of proof is of course on the presenter. One can support it by
 - small RSEs on the  parameter of interest, if you can get them;
 - no correlation with other parameters (either in bootstrap samples, or in the
history of SAEM iterations, or by investigation the variance-covariance matrix
of the parameter estimates);
 - starting the model run with perturbed values of this parameter to show that
the final estimate does not depend on the initial values;
 - etc.

Alternative is to try to make the entire model stable by fixing some parameters
at the biologically plausible values: if the model with fixed parameters is
still flexible enough to describe the entire range of available data, one can
use this model until some experimental results provide the data (and the need)
to free and estimate those fixed parameters.

Thanks
Leonid

Leonid Gibiansky, Ph.D.
President, QuantPharm LLC