Hi Douglas,

My own thinking is that you should fit the largest omega structure that can
be supported by the data rather than just always assuming a diagonal omega
structure.  This does not necessarily mean always fitting a full block omega
structure, as it can often lead to an ill-conditioned model, however, there
may be a reduced block omega structure that is more parsimonious than the
diagonal omega structure.  Getting the omega structure right is particularly
important for simulation of individual responses.  For example, if you
always simulate from a diagonal omega structure for CL and V when there is
evidence that the random effects are highly positively correlated then you
may end up simulating individual PK profiles for combinations of individual
CLs and Vs that are not represented in your data (i.e., high correlation
would suggest that individuals with high CL will tend to also have high V
and vice versa whereas a simulation assuming that they are independent will
result in simulating for some individuals with high CL and low V and some
individuals with low CL and high V that might not be represented in your
data).  This could lead to simulations that over-predict the variation in
the concentration-time profiles even though the diagonal omega may be
sufficient for purposes of predicting central tendency in the PK profile.
You can confirm this by VPC looking at your ability to predict say the 10th
and 90th percentiles in comparison to the observed 10th and 90th percentiles
in your data.  That is, if you simulate from the diagonal omega when there
is correlation in the random effects you may find that your prediction of
the 10th and 90th percentiles are more extreme than that in your observed
data.  I see this all the time in VPC plots where the majority of the
observed data are well within the predictions of the 10th and 90th
percentiles when we should expect about 10% of our data above the 90th
percentile prediction and 10% below the 10th percentile prediction.

Best regards,

Ken

Kenneth G. Kowalski
President & CEO
A2PG - Ann Arbor Pharmacometrics Group, Inc.
110 Miller Ave., Garden Suite
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
Work:  734-274-8255
Cell:  248-207-5082