Dear Pavel, others,

The underlying technical difference is that SAEM is in its core a sampling
methodology. Off-diagonal elements (as explained by Bob Bauer) are available as
sample correlations and do not have to be separately computed in contrast to
linearization approaches such as FOCE.

The more interesting question to me, as also eluted to by Ken, is what criteria
to set up for inclusion of an off-diagonal element. I completely support his
argument for simulation performance of the model, as e.g. judged using a VPC.
Whether to score it as an additional degree of freedom may be up to debate. An
off-diagonal element in essence limits the freedom of the model as the random
space in which samples can be generated will be smaller. In that perspective
one could argue to retain any off-diagonal element that is sufficiently
deviating from zero regardless of ofv changes, and to not apply the concept of
over-parametrization (or at least not in comparison to other types of
parameters). In practice inclusion of an important off-diagonal is mostly
accompanied by a sound improvement in ofv anyway.

More can be found in earlier discussions we had on this list, see e.g.
https://www.mail-archive.com/nmusers@globomaxnm.com/msg02736.html for quite an
extensive one from 2010. Here also an r-script to visualize the parameter space
impact can be found ;-).

In cases where a larger full or banded omega block is found, I would advice to
explore its properties further using matrix decomposition approaches (PCA etc)
to evaluate propagated correlations across the matrix.  But also on the basis
of physiology/pharmacology as a data sample may not be informative enough to
support robust interpretation of correlations. A discussion along those lines
in reporting seems the more fruitful to me.

Best regards,
Jeroen

http://pd-value.com
-- More value out of your data!