Hi All,

I have done it both ways (with and without including parameter uncertainty).

It is important to note that the resulting VPC intervals are degenerate when
you don’t take into account parameter uncertainty.  That is, with infinite
sample size these intervals will collapse to the predictions based on the point
estimates (since you’ll essentially be averaging out the sampling variation
(etas and epsilons) when you make a mean/median prediction across a very large
number of subjects).  Thus, in situations where you have a very large sample
size for the bins, the VPC intervals can be too narrow and it can be almost
hopeless to demonstrate that the observed values will be contained within these
narrow VPC intervals.  This is because one would still expect some
discrepancies between the observed and predicted due to parameter uncertainty.

On the other hand, suppose that you have a relatively small dataset such that
VPC intervals are considerably wider when taking into account parameter
uncertainty. If the observed data (e.g., means, median, etc) are not contained
within the degenerate VPC intervals, but are contained within the VPC intervals
that take into account the parameter uncertainty, this may or may not mean you
have a good predictive model.  It may simply mean you just don’t have enough
data to “validate” your model via a VPC given the small sample size and that
you need to collect more data before you can truly evaluate the predictive
performance of your model.

Best,

Ken

Kenneth G. Kowalski

President & CEO

A2PG - Ann Arbor Pharmacometrics Group, Inc.

301 N. Main St., Suite 102

Ann Arbor, MI 48104

Work:  734-274-8255

Cell:  248-207-5082