From: owner-nmus...@globomaxnm.com [mailto:owner-nmus...@globomaxnm.com] On
Behalf Of Denney, William S.
Sent: Thursday, March 24, 2016 6:53 AM
To: L.A. ten Berg - Lammers; 'nmusers@globomaxnm.com'
Subject: [NMusers] RE: nonmem question regarding condition number

EXTERNAL
Hi Laureen,

Large condition numbers (typically interpreted as >1000) indicate that two or
more parameters in the model are highly correlated in their covariance and that
the model parameters are difficult to identify.  Given your description below,
I would not suggest using the 3-compartment model (even with its 180 point
reduction in OFV) because two of your parameters are so highly correlated that
the condition number is reaching the level of computational precision (2E16 is
very large for a condition number).  I'd also look at the NONMEM output to see
if the 3-compartment model had any errors around the convergence.

Thanks,

Bill