Colleagues,

In principle, the log likelihood can be used for such comparisons, however an L2 or peak Signal to Noise ratio or cross entropy is widely used in the signal processing literature for such comparisons.

In NONNEM, the problem relates to numerical stability and accuracy of the approximations by which the OFV is estimated.  The closed form exact derivative often results in far less numerical noise.  This is also true for ADVAN6 when analytic derivatives (not numerical) are utilized.

The signal processing and machine learning fields have evolved methods to handle this and these questions of comparing structures and covariance matrix have good practical solutions.

It would be interesting to make the same comparisons in e.g., torsten, nlmixr or Pumas.

Regards,

Immanuel