Bay Area PKPD Network

Special Topics Webinar

Thursday, June 10, 2021 from 12:00pm-1:00pm PDT

Location: Online

Register: for free at https://tinyurl.com/BAPKPD-webinar2021 or see
http://www.bapkpd.org/upevent.html for information

Kathy Giacomini, Ph.D.

Professor, Department of Bioengineering and Therapeutic Sciences UCSF Schools
of Pharmacy and Medicine

High Throughput Screening and Real World Biomarkers to Predict Drug-Drug and
Drug-Nutrient Interactions:
Implications to polypharmacy associated with COVID treatment

Individuals with serious COVID infections often have pre-existing
co-morbidities and are generally older.  Thus, in addition to being prescribed
drugs for the treatment of COVID19 and its sequelae, many of these individuals
are taking a myriad of other drugs.  In this presentation, I will describe a
screening study of 25 small molecule drugs in clinical trials for COVID19
against 11 drug transporters, which are targets for clinically relevant
drug-drug interactions (DDIs).    Our in vitro studies revealed that 20 of the
25 drugs met the criteria suggested by FDA DDI guidance to consider a clinical
DDI study.  Further, I will describe the analyses of real world transporter
biomarkers in data from electronic health records, which suggested that several
of the drugs actually do cause transporter-mediated DDIs clinically.  I will
end with a discussion of the propensity for many anti-microbial drugs to
perpetrate clinical DDIs and drug-nutrient interactions, and the use of various
biomarkers for predicting DDIs in pre- and post-marketing settings.