Mechanistic insights into sensitization/desensitization of IFNα signaling and
its effect on patient treatment strategies.

Dr. Marcus Rosenblatt, PhD
University of Freiburg, Freiburg, Germany
July 12, 2023, 12:00-1:00 PM EDT

Register for free at
https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/8578933309977451096

Abstract: Interferon alpha (IFNα) orchestrates the antiviral response in
hepatocytes as a key component of the innate immune system. The IFNα signal
transduction pathway is known to desensitize upon activation, which constitutes
a significant problem for using IFNα as a treatment against chronic viral
infections or as an anti-tumor drug. However, the mechanisms that lead to this
desensitization remain poorly understood.

In collaboration with the German Cancer Research Center, we developed an ODE
model that describes the biochemical reaction network of IFNα signaling in
different hepatoma cell lines and primary human hepatocytes.

This talk will present how we learned from the model that, in addition to a
dose-dependent desensitization mediated by the negative feedback components
SOCS1 and USP18 acting at the receptor level, the IFNα signaling pathway can
also show (hyper-)sensitization/priming due to upregulation of the
intra-cellular components IRF9 and STAT2.

In addition, we will discuss how the findings from this research help us to
understand and predict the dynamics of the production of Interferon Stimulated
Genes (ISGs), which exert numerous antiviral and anti-inflammatory effector
functions, and how this fosters patient-individual optimization of IFNα
treatment strategies.