From: karam alali <ph.kar...@gmail.com>
Sent: Saturday, May 11, 2024 7:31 PM
To: Nick Holford <n.holf...@auckland.ac.nz>
Subject: Re: [NMusers] %RSE for IIV when expressed as %CV instead of variance

Hi Prof. Nick,

I got a capture of the original quote from web archive:

https://web.archive.org/web/20050117183801/http://gaps.cpb.ouhsc.edu/nm/91sep2697.html<https://web.archive.org/web/20050117183801/http:/gaps.cpb.ouhsc.edu/nm/91sep2697.html>

Best Regards,

Karam Alali
Ph.D. Candidate
Universiti Sains Malaysia

On Sun, 12 May 2024, 2:10 am Nick Holford,
<n.holf...@auckland.ac.nz<mailto:n.holf...@auckland.ac.nz>> wrote:
Hi Anita,

Some history on expressing the variance estimate of the random effects of a
parameter can be found here:
https://web.archive.org/web/20050117183801/http://gaps.cpb.ouhsc.edu/nm/91sep2697.html<https://web.archive.org/web/20050117183801/http:/gaps.cpb.ouhsc.edu/nm/91sep2697.html>
Stuart Beal wrote about this issue in 1997 and cautioned that the
interpretation is in the eye of the user because NONMEM does not require ETAs
to be normally distributed: "Many discussions state that ETA is assumed to be
normal, but these are often misleading. While there are sometimes good reasons
for making this assumption, the NONMEM methodology largely avoids the
assumption." He proposed the term "apparent coefficient of variation" as a way
of implying a normal distribution of ETA. "Since we do not need to make the
normality assumption, it does not follow that the "extra accuracy" given by the
lognormal formula really represents extra accuracy; it can just as well be
garbage. Suppose we want to really do the right thing, and CV is large (perhaps
as a pragmatic matter, we will judge the CV to be large when the results from
the two formulas differ substantially). Then we should probably avoid reporting
the CV as a "CV", but report it as an "apparent CV"."

Unfortunately, the original quote that I cited from Stuart Beal (the originator
of NONMEM) no longer seems to be available.
http://gaps.cpb.ouhsc.edu/nm/91sep2697.html
In the example you provide you mention ETA so presumably you are referring to
random parameter variability not residual error. I encourage you not to use the
acronym “IIV” because without other information is not clear if this means
“inter individual variability” (e.g. PPV, population parameter variability of a
parameter) or “intra individual variability” describing residual unexplained
variability, RUV (“residual error”).
The relative standard error can be estimated using a non-parametric bootstrap
by dividing the standard deviation of the bootstrap distribution by the average
of the bootstrap distribution of the parameters. The non-parametric BS does not
make the assumption that the uncertainty of the parameters is normal and
therefore symmetrical.
Best wishes,

Nick

NOTE: The address for Anita Moein
moein.an...@gene.com<mailto:moein.an...@gene.com> was bounced by the University
of Auckland email server. This may be linked to the red warning shown below.

--
Nick Holford, Professor Emeritus Clinical Pharmacology, MBChB, FRACP
mobile: NZ+64(21) 46 23 53 ; FR+33(6) 62 32 46 72