There is an interesting parallel available from another common
utility.  It's well known that many power companies look for
statistical "oddities" in consumer power usage.  A sudden drastic
drop in month-to-month usage (taking time of year into account)
*might* suggest meter tampering (though it could also be a sudden
dropoff in major appliance usage, installation of solar panels, etc.)

Similarly, a massive unusual *increase* in power usage has often
been a trigger for police investigations of possible indoor pot
growing operations (due to all the plant lights).

Both of these cases are essentially traffic analysis examples.  But
what happens next?  In the power decrease case, the company would
typically ensure that the (usually external) meter and surrounding
connections were inspected soon.  The power company doesn't usually
show up at the door and demand to inspect the house contents.

In the power increase case -- it was becoming fashionable for power
companies to report such cases to law enforcement.  Police were
then using thermal imaging (IR) devices from outside the homes
to image inside looking for pot growing thermal signatures.

However, some years ago, the U.S. Supreme Court (in a ruling where
the yes votes were not necessarily from whom you might expect) declared
this practice illegal surveillance if a search warrant was not
obtained first:
http://prfamerica.org/US_supreme_court_sides_with_privacy_rts.html

In essence, the Supreme Court ruled that use of thermal imaging
to look inside a house (that is, at its *contents*) was not
permitted for law enforcement purposes without a warrant.

I believe that there may be a useful analogy here to the AT&T P2P
situation, where AT&T is discussing inspecting the *contents* of
end-to-end user data for "illicit" materials, rather than just
performing traffic analysis that would be much more typical in the
course of ordinary business.

--Lauren--
NNSquad Moderator

 - - -