Hello Jeff,

>> The return volley has already been fired--
>>
>> http://coderrr.wordpress.com/2008/06/28/detecting-ssh-tunnels/
>>

> If you actually read the paper (or even the blog post), that technology
> isn't ready, and they can't actually identify the tunneled protocol yet.
> As there are plenty of legitimate uses for SSH tunneling, I wouldn't
> expect to see anything come of that research for at least six months to
> a year.

> Jeff 'foxxtrot' Craig

Yes, I did read it. The point is that it IS already being worked on.
And it didn't take long for someone to see the potential financial
benefit of working on it. It's only a matter of time before this makes
its way into ISP systems. I betcha Comcast execs and the RIAA and
Media Companies are foaming at the mouth waiting for this to mature,
and passing piles of greenbacks under the table to hurry the process up.

--
Best regards,
 bj                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

     [ It is unfortunately reasonable to assume -- based on observed
       behaviors to date -- that some ISPs may have few reservations
       about extracting as much information as possible from
       encrypted data streams and then potentially "tampering" with
       them in furtherance of their own objectives -- to the maximal
       extent that they believe won't create unacceptable levels of
       negative PR or place them in legal jeopardy.

            -- Lauren Weinstein
               NNSquad Moderator ]