The only other things I can think of are:

- do you have any firewalls or virus software that you could disable?
- were you a beta tester?  I saw this behavior with a very early beta
version and the machine I'm running 1.4 on is a separate machine than
I was beta testing on.
- this is probably a question for Kevin, but there may be some more
detailed output in Console.app. I don't know if that was a beta
feature or if the production version logs there as well.

Hth,

matt.