How about a pre-planned migration strategy?  Anything in the memo
field surrounded in square brackets will have tags created once that
feature is available?  Ex transaction:

Title: Gas Station
Bucket: Gas
Amount: 25.00
Memo: [08 accord][vacation] 12Gal mid-grade

Post tags feature this would come out with a memo of "12Gal mid-grade"
and two tags "08 accord" and "vacation".

That would allow us to capture the information now.  Doesn't even
necessarily need to be an application feature, it could be part of the
installer or a standalone migration tool.  Just thinking out loud.

Thanks,
matt.