On May 31, 2009, at 11:24 AM, granado87 wrote:

> I was just wondering how I should handle this type of situation. I
> have a medical expense account, which I created in MW. When I receive
> a reimbursement check from the medical group, obviously I deposit it
> into my checking account. As well, I deposit another check (rebate
> check) with it, and may even withdraw cash from that as well. One
> deposit, 2 checks, 1 cash withdrawal, but all 1 interaction with the
> bank teller. When trying to account for this in MW, this involves a
> balance transfer from the medical expense account to my checking.
> However, the split transaction doesn't seem to let me input the rebate
> check as income.
>
> What I've had to do was create separate transactions and transfers to
> make it work. This involves a transfer of to cash to account for the
> cash withdrawal, and a separate deposit into my medical expense
> account to record rebate check. Is there a better way of doing this?
> When I first tried to do split transaction of the actual deposit, it
> didn't seem to allow for a cash withdrawal. Was I doing something
> wrong?
>
> Thanks for any help.

Hi Michael,

MoneyWell should handle this very well. You may have to rethink this
situation a bit though. Here's the steps I used assuming my net
deposit was $450 with two checks of $400 and $100 to deposit:

1. Create a new Deposit transaction
2. Enter the amount as $450
3. Assign the Medical/Dental bucket to this transaction
4. Click Create Split
5. Change the first amount to 400 and press enter
6. Set the new second line to Medical/Dental also
7. Set the amount on the second line to 100
8. A new third line with a -50 (negative) amount is shown
9. Click the checkbox in the "C" column for the third line to transfer
this money into your cash account

How does that work for you?

Peace,

Kevin Hoctor