I think you guys are reinventing the wheel here with respect to building
addons. Gyp and CMake were create specifically so you don't need to roll
your own system. Maybe it is just me but I liked the fact that node-waf
came bundled with the node install. This meant that I didn't have to go
fetch any additional packages or items to build the addon.

I will also add that I am against shipping binary addons. The number of
"parameters" you could be pivoting on is too great imho. If someone has a
system in place to deploy binaries (deb, rpm, etc) I would think they
should use that. Otherwise compiling these small addons for deployment is
not that big a deal is it? I would be hesitant on a binary solution until
someone can prove to me anyone would actually care to use it in a
meaningful way. Right now, I just always build when I deploy and that works
fine. The benefit here is that build time failure is much preferred to run
time failure.