You're correct in that uv_queue_work() is the replacement for eio_custom(),
so that is ideal for situations where you need to do some long (possibly
CPU-bound) task on libuv's thread pool, then firing a single callback on
the main thread when that is done.

I may be incorrect, but I was under the impression that @m1k3l was doing
something on another thread that is possibly long-lived, or doesn't
necessarily finish doing its business before needing to communicate back to
the main thread. I think a good use-case for this could be reporting
progress events back to the main thread from a thread doing a lot of work
that may take a long time.

Of course, someone correct me if I have a misunderstanding here :)