Hello,
I've been using a little ad-filtering proxy I built using node for some
time now, and today I had a look at its CPU usage while flash was
prefetching a very large youtube video. Well, it was relatively high, I
think, but the only thing it should be doing at that time is using
the .pipe() method to pipe from one HTTP stream to another one.

Well, I was surprised to see that node was wasting ~2.5% of its CPU
usage on v8::String::New calls in node::MakeCallback, and that
node::MakeCallback in total has a CPU overhead that amounts to ~7% of
the total CPU time node uses in this case. Shouldn't it at least be
possible to cache the symbol string? And couldn't node maybe also avoid
calling v8::Object::Get each time it wants to call into userland (~3.6%
)?

Are these things right or did I make some huge mistake? If they are
right, would it be possible to make this stuff a bit faster? Reducing
the CPU usage by 5% seems like a relatively big speed improvement to me.

Node version: 0.6.14

Call graph centered on MakeCallback:
http://thejh.github.com/callgraph.png

Raw callgrind output: