Yeah, I fixed this by compiling qt with node's ssl library.  Of course,
this will be more troublesome for people so I guess I may have to include
binary libraries inside the npm package or get complaints from everyone who
can't "node-gyp rebuild" it on their systems.  And when I use this newly
compiled qt library with node v0.6, it segfaults somewhere inside ssl, so I
guess it requires separate qt libraries depending on node version.

Side question:  is it possible to configure a .gyp binding file that would
somehow create a linking command that looks like this?
cmd_solink = $(LINK.$(TOOLSET)) -shared $(GYP_LDFLAGS)
$(LDFLAGS.$(TOOLSET)) -Wl,-soname=$(@F) -o $@ -Wl,--whole-archive
$(LD_INPUTS) $(LIBS) -Wl,--no-whole-archive

The difference is that $(LIBS) is included in the --whole-archive section
so that all the symbols in the libraries get shoved into final binary.