> Probably an insufficiency unless demonstrated otherwise. Network
> errors happen, even on loopback devices.

The return value is not being checked after the line
   result = _open_osfhandle((intptr_t)file, flags);
in fs.c

In my case the return value is -1 and errno is set to EMFILE ie I encounter
the Windows open file limit at the stream i/o level

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/6e3b887c%28v=vs.100%29.aspx

> C run-time I/O now supports many more open files on Win32 platforms than
> in previous versions. Up to 2,048 files can be open simultaneously at the
> lowio
> level <http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/40bbyw78.aspx> (that is,
> opened and accessed by means of the _open, _read, _write, and so forth
> family of I/O functions). Up to 512 files can be open simultaneously at the
> stdio
> level <http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/c565h7xx.aspx> (that is,
> opened and accessed by means of the fopen, fgetc, fputc, and so forth
> family of functions). The limit of 512 open files at the stdio level can
> be increased to a maximum of 2,048 by means of the _setmaxstdio function.
>
> Because stdio-level functions, such as fopen, are built on top of the
> lowio functions, the maximum of 2,048 is a hard upper limit for the
> number of simultaneously open files accessed through the C run-time library.

How can apps avoid bumping into these limits? Can node automatically
increase this limit to the max allowed by the lowio level? Can node switch
to using Windows API alone?