On Feb 3, 2012, at 10:28 PM, Isaac Schlueter wrote:

> The Isolates feature was intended to make it possible to run
> child_process.fork() in a thread, rather than a full process.  The
> justification was to make it cheaper to spin up new child node
> instances, as well as allowing for fast message-passing using shared
> memory in binary addons, while retaining the semantics of node's
> child_process implementation by keeping them in completely isolated v8
> instances.
>
> It was a very informative experiment, but has ultimately turned out to
> cause too much instability in node's internal functionality to justify
> continuing with it at this time.  It requires a lot of complexity to
> be added to libuv and node, and isn't likely to yield enough gains to
> be worth the investment.
>
> We're going to roll back the changes in master that were added to
> support Isolates, and instead focus on Domains and other things that
> promise to increase stability and make debugging easier.  This change
> will land in 0.7.3.  It's entirely possible that we may decide to use
> v8 isolates in some future version of node, but they will not be in
> 0.8.
>
> If you were eagerly looking forward to using this feature, and find
> yourself shocked or frustrated by this decision, please contact me
> directly.  It's not our intention to leave anyone stuck, and I do
> understand that this feature was promised for some time.  If this
> causes hardship for you, let's figure out another way to get your use
> cases handled.
>
> It's never easy to back-pedal, but doing experimental things means
> sometimes finding out that you were headed in the wrong direction.
> The sooner we make this change, the easier it will be.
>
> Thanks.

For those of you who felt sad like I did when I read this :-/, and just in case
you didn't notice yet the other thread "[nodejs] Evil threads [ANN] Threads a
GoGo" ;-)

threads_a_gogo is out and ready for you to use:
<http://github.com/xk/node-threads-a-gogo>

It lets you create -up to thousands of- JavaScript threads to run JS code in
parallel with node's main thread, using all the available cpu cores, in v8
isolates, from within a single node process. It comes with the familiar API
that you already know and love from node's asynchronous IO calls, in both event
emitter (listeners) and continuation passing (callbacks) styles.

If you've downloaded the version 0.1.0 of threads_a_gogo already, please update
now to the latest v0.1.1 that fixes a tiny (32 bytes) leak that was happening
when a thread emits an event.

Cheers,
--
Jorge.